On this page you will find legal information for friend’s and family of someone that may be experiencing relationship violence. It can be difficult to see someone you care about be hurt by their partner.
Below is information that may be helpful to you and the person you care about.
Just the Facts About Abuse and the Law
It may be helpful to visit our Just the Facts page to read information for victims of abuse.
Frequently Asked Questions
- My friend’s partner is a jerk. Is this abuse?
- What can I do to help?
- My friend isn’t ready to leave the relationship. What are some ways I can be supportive right now?
- I don’t know if I should get involved. Isn’t it their private business?
- I think she provokes him. Isn’t some of this her fault?
- Why doesn’t she just break up with him?
- This situation is so frustrating. Should I just give up?
For more resources see:
Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters
Someone I know needs help
Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children
“It’s not right!” – Information for neighbours, friends, and families