Non-Legal Help

Home » Non-Legal Help

If you are experiencing abuse, help is available, including with housing, finances, safety planning and more.

There are many agencies and government offices that can support people experiencing abuse in different ways. Whether you need to find emergency or alternate housing, need to apply for benefits or are looking for a supportive environment to heal, help is available.

Below are some helplines and websites that offer information and support. Contact 211 Alberta (call, text or chat) to connect with specific programs and services in your area.

Helplines | Men Experiencing Abuse | Government Websites


Family Violence Info Line: 310.1818 or chat online

  • Help available 24 hours a day by phone (in 170 languages) or by chat (English only)

Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters: 1.866.331.3933

  • Find a shelter or confidentially speak with someone at a shelter near you, available 24 hours a day

Alberta Abuse Hotline: 1.855.4HELPAB (1.855.443.5722)

  • Help available Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 8 pm

211 Alberta: call 211, text INFO to 211 or chat online

  • Find programs and services in your community

Alberta One-Line for Sexual Violence: call or text 1.866.403.8000 or chat online

Child Abuse Hotline: 1.800.387.5437

  • Get help if you, or children you know, are being neglected, abused or sexually exploited, available 24 hours a day in several languages

Distress Line: call 780.482.4357 or chat online

  • Get confidential, non-judgmental and short-term crisis intervention 24 hours a day (for people in crisis and their supporters)

Kids Help Phone: call 1.800.668.6868, text CONNECT to 686868 or chat online

Elder Abuse help and resource lines across the province

Men Experiencing Abuse

Canadian Centre for Men & Families (CCMF) Alberta

Male Domestic Abuse Outreach Program (Calgary Counselling Centre / Counselling Alberta): call 403.691.5964, email or fill out the intake form online

Government Websites

Stop Family Violence (Government of Canada)

Abuse & Bullying (Government of Alberta)

Alberta Health Services