The Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta provides free public legal information.
Domestic Violence and the Law
Leaving the situation
- What is Abuse?
- Planning to Leave
- Going to the Police
- Leaving an Abusive Relationship If You Are Not a Canadian Citizen
Keeping the abuser away
- Keeping the Abuser Away
- Emergency Protection Orders
- Queen’s Bench Protection Orders
- Exclusive Possession Orders
- Restraining Orders
Parenting and financial concerns
Getting legal help
Visit CPLEA’s store to order print copies.
Families and the Law
- New Parents (booklet and video)
- Parenting Time and Contact (booklet and video)
- Financial Support (booklet and video)
- Property Division (booklet and vide0)
- Resolving Family Law Disputes (booklet and video)
- Separation & Divorce (booklet and video)
- Moving with Children (info sheet)
- Moving and the Divorce Act (info sheet)
- Travelling with Children (info sheet)
- Separation Agreement Checklist (info sheet)
Also available in French.
Going to Court
- Going to Family Docket Court video
- After the Judge Makes a Decision
- Court Appearances & Orders
- Court Fees & Waivers in Alberta
- Evidence in Court: Affidavits
- Serving Court Documents
- Tips for Going to Court
- Working with a Lawyer
- Child Welfare – information on legal processes if Children’s Services is involved
- Domestic Violence Took Kit for Landlords – information for landlords whose tenants might be experiencing domestic violence
Find more legal information about other topics on CPLEA’s website.